Looking for healthier holiday recipes? You’re in the right place! In preparation for Thanksgiving gatherings, we have compiled a list of recipes so you can still enjoy the holiday classics while focusing on including nourishing foods in your diet and avoiding food intolerances! Each section is labeled for different dietary needs.
Healthier Roasted Turkey
If possible, support local and purchase a turkey from a farm near you. Co-ops and finer grocery stores often have organic or pasture raised turkey options as well!
Whole 30 friendly turkey
Turkey breast only
Gluten free turkey gravy
Healthier Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes are a staple during Thanksgiving dinner. Check out the healthier mashed potato recipes below, including a few mashed potato alternatives.
- Dairy free from Clean and Delicious
- Organic option with dairy from Happily Unprocessed
- With kale from Love and Lemons
- Mashed cauliflower and potatoes from Love and Lemons
- Parsnip and cauliflower (potato free) from Love and Lemons
- Sweet potato boats from Minimalist Baker
Healthier Green Bean Casserole
In the Midwest, a casserole is a must-have for a holiday meal. These options give you the comfort-food hit you need without the heaviness. Enjoy!
- Cleaned up classic version from Ambitious Kitchen
- Dairy free from Minimalist Baker
- Gluten free: From Downshiftology or Bob’s Red Mill
- Low FODMAP green bean casserole alternative from Fun Without FODMAPs
Healthier Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry sauce is super simple to make homemade. Ditch the usual sugar-heavy recipes and try one of the recipes below!
- Classic from Cookie and Kate
- Sweetened with stevia from Kim’s Cravings
- Jalapeno-Cranberry relish from Eating Well
Pumpkin, apple, and sweet potato desserts just scream fall. All of the recipes below are refined sugar free and be modified to be gluten or egg free, if that’s one of your food sensitivities. Any and all of these will make great additions to your holiday meal!
- Candied spiced nuts from Minimalist Baker
- Best ever healthy pumpkin pie from Ambitious Kitchen
- Easy healthy sweet potato pie
- Easy pumpkin bread from Fool Proof Living
- Gluten free apply cake with paleo/dairy-free icing(!) from Simply Jillicious
- Cardamom caramels from Dish It Up
Wondering if you have a food allergy or sensitivity? Check in with our dietician to learn more about the food that fuels you!
Dr. Jones graduated from the National University of Natural Medicine in Portland, Oregon as a Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine and with a Master of Science in Nutrition degree. She believes that the most important part of any treatment plan is first establishing a solid foundation of health. This looks different for each patient and changes over time, and Dr. Jones’ guidance on your health journey will depend on your needs.