Glyphosate, chlorine, fragrances and a surplus of other toxic chemicals all up in your lady parts? Thanks, but NO THANKS. Believe it or not, we actually have to worry about finding non-toxic period products because a feminine hygiene routine can be a big contributor to our bodies’ chemical exposure. Think about it: We wear various period products throughout the phases of our cycles for a minimum of five to 10 days every single month… for decades! And because they’re situated right against our skin or inside our actual bodies, we’re that much more available to absorb whatever potentially toxic chemicals that are lurking in them. It’s crazy that women have to add another burden to our already full plates, but we’re talking about toxic ingredients that can cause hormone disruption, infertility, cancer and birth defects. The easiest way to protect ourselves from these dangers is to choose products made with natural, organic and safe materials without added toxins like chlorine, petrochemicals and fragrances.
Toxin-Free Period Products: Pads, Panties, Tampons and Menstrual CupsWe’re living in an age when it’s easier than ever to find toxin-free period products. Thanks to online shopping, local co-ops and even Whole Foods, protecting your body during your menstrual cycle is accessible and doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg. Better yet? These recommendations include brands confirmed to only use organic cotton, natural fibers, silicone or inert materials without chlorine, fragrances or toxic synthetic materials.
- GladRags: GladRags Cloth Pads are comfortable, easy to wash, good for the environment and will save you money because they’re reusable. Soft and breathable, you’ll never suffer through the chafing and irritation of disposable pads again. Plus, they’re available in a variety of colorful cotton prints or natural organic cotton.
- Natracare: Plastic-free and totally chlorine-free, these pads do not contain rayon, latex, chemical additives, fragrances or dyes. An ecologically certified absorbent cellulose core locks away menstrual fluid to keep you dry, and a soft organic cotton cover allows your skin to breathe. Many gynaecologists recommend Natracare for women with sensitive skin.
- Lola: Lola is changing the period game not only with innovative products, but also with a customizable subscription service for you to choose exactly what you need for your monthly bleeding. All pads are made with 100 percent organic cotton, and you can choose from day or night varieties.
- Thinx Panties: Thinx panties recently dropped a line of organic cotton period underwear that are as minimalist as they are comfy. With styles that hold up to two tampons worth of blood, you can free bleed all day without worry.
- Dear Kate Panties, Pants and Leotards: Dear Kate didn’t stop at period underwear. Their line of yoga pants and leotards you can free bleed into make everyday leakage a lot less messy.
- LunaPads: LunaPads offer complete leak-proof protection and adjustable absorbency to fit your flow. Replace any single-use products you might be using for everyday, your period or for light bladder leaks.
- Lola: Lola wins again with those tampon subscription boxes that you can customize to fit your flow. Plus, they offer cardboard and applicator free organic tampon options, which makes them more environmentally friendly.
- The Honest Company: Featuring a plant-derived compact applicator, these organic, hypoallergenic tampons are designed to gently expand width-wise for a more natural, comfortable fit and enhanced leakage protection.
- Cora: Another genius subscription service that lets you customize your box to your monthly needs. They’re certified organic cotton and designed for comfort and performance that, according to Cora, “gives you leak protection, even in down dog and on white denim days.” Two extra benefits: They donate period products to women in need, and each box comes with a discreet carrying case for stashing in your purse.
Toxic-Free Menstrual Cups
- Lunette Cup: Made with soft, medical-grade silicone and no BPA, these cups are free of yeast, bacteria or cup odor. Plus you’ll experience up to 12 hours of worry-free use, and they come in multiple colors, with cute travel bags.
- DivaCup: The first menstrual cup to get certified for sale, the DivaCup is eco-friendly, easy to use and gives you 12-hour protection. With models designed for younger women and women who’ve had kids and might be a little stretched down there, this menstrual cup empowers you to become more connected to your feminine cycle while avoiding latex, plastic, PVC, acrylic, acrylate, BPA, phthalate, elastomer, polyethylene, colors and dyes.
- MoonCup: Tried and trusted since 2002 by users around the world, the Mooncup menstrual cup offers an end to the waste, discomfort and expense of disposable sanitary protection. A soft, medical-grade silicone menstrual cup designed by women, it’s a convenient, safe and eco-friendly alternative to tampons and pads.